Sunday, May 07, 2006

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>

Also

Incidentally: while I have almost no opinion about the SSPX (maybe I'm not cut out for blogging, since I don't feel compelled to have opinions about things that I don't know much about), but it's interesting to see bloggers who unhesitatingly refer to them as "schismatics", suddenly saying "well, it's complicated" when a Chinese bishop is illicitly consecrated. So you mean, an illicit consecration doesn't automatically throw everyone who attends a Mass said by the consecrating or consecrated bishop or anyone subject to these bishops into a state of schism? I admit that the cases are different - but I have to wonder just how much of the attitude towards Abp. Lefebvre's society is due to an "ick" factor: traditionalists are weird creepy crabby people; if they're obedient then we'll just have to put up with them, but one false move puts them beyond the pale.

No, I don't really have a coherent argument here; like I said, I know very little about this. I just find it hard to believe that these people are using the same thought processes to evaluate "illicit Chinese consecrations" and "illicit SSPX consecrations"; it looks remarkably like what they call a double standard.